Hello, you lovely people, and Happy Independence Day to those in the US! How has the week found you? I’ve been violently oscillating between excited and exhausted. After discovering black mold, we spent an insufferable week at my in-law’s house and then returned home to the infestation, where we’re now debating whether to remodel or move. As for the upside, I transitioned from my “it is literally killing you” vegetarian diet to a modified paleo regimen that hinges on ethically-raised lean animal protein, non-starchy vegetables, nuts, fruit, and personalized mineral supplementation.
What are you up to this weekend? I’ll be researching mold removal specialists, remodeling contractors, and how to roast a chicken. Hope you have a good one! Here are a few links from around the web:
- Passage I’m pondering: “When people talk, listen completely. Don’t be thinking what you’re going to say. Most people never listen. Nor do they observe. You should be able to go into a room and when you come out, know everything that you saw there and not only that. If that room gave you any feeling you should know exactly what it was that gave you that feeling. Try that for practice.” — Ernest Hemingway
- So who invented the everything bagel? An entire culinary tradition spanning continents and thousands of years. That, and David Gussin, since no one called it an everything bagel before he did.
- The Predator War. October 2, 2009. The New Yorker. One of the earliest pieces of reporting on drones, morality, and their implications for geopolitics. She was early to home in on the idea that commanders are more likely to deploy a drone when there’s no risk of losing a pilot and how that alters the calculus of battlefield decisions.
- Do you know the difference Between Tylenol, Aspirin, Advil, and Aleve?
- This little reflection by CD Baby founder Derek Sivers, about what we let in and what we keep out, really made me think this morning.
- Since I’m returning to animal consumption by necessity, I’m committed to consuming only humanely raised meat. I found some helpful resources that pointed me to local farms and butchers that pride themselves on offering just that.
- Step inside the neon hair cave.
- Think and feel everything deeply? You may be a sensitive striver. I definitely am!
- 32 Thoughts From a 32-Year-Old. Some valuable gems from modern-day philosopher, Ryan Holiday.
- While I’ve never been on Tinder and am not on the market, these Myers-Briggs Tinder bios made me chuckle.