What are you up to this (long) weekend? I’m getting a follow-up MRI to check up on Petey the pituitary tumor, setting aside time to continue reading Little Fires Everywhere (yay, public library!) and spending time with my mom while my dad is visiting my sister in Missouri. I’m also trying to plan fun things to do in Seattle and Portland, as well as figure out what to wear to the wedding of two über-hipster artists. Any suggestions?
Hope you have a good one! Here are a few links from around the web:
- It’s okay to be good not great. A lovely piece from Outside magazine on the perils of over-striving: “Research shows that sustainable progress, in everything from diet to fitness to creativity, isn’t about being consistently great; it’s about being great at being consistent. It’s about being good enough over and over again.”
- 116 Amazing Facts for People Who Like Amazing Facts. Did you know that if you open your eyes in a pitch-black room, the color you’ll see is called ‘eigengrau’?
- There are three kinds of forever: the forever of discomfort, of plenty and of never.
- “We’re not prepared as a society to ensure that facial recognition will be used responsibly and without discriminatory effects.” The best reason for your city to ban facial recognition.
- Trying to Find Your True Purpose in Life? Start a meditation practice.
- Quote I’m contemplating: “Every opportunity is attached to a person. Opportunities do not float like clouds in the sky. They’re attached to people. If you’re looking for an opportunity — including one that has a financial payoff — you’re really looking for a person.” –Ben Casnocha
- My boyfriend is extremely passionate about privacy and you could say it’s rubbed off on me. You’d be horrified to know all the data Google, Amazon, and Facebook collect about you. Some simple steps you can take today: download the Signal app, migrate from Gmail to ProtonMail or Tutanota, and consider what you share in the presence of Siri or Alexa (they’re always listening).
- New Neuroscience Reveals 5 Rituals That Will Make You Happy
- “Soil Instead Of Ashes: Human Composting Is About To Become Legal In Washington State” Love this idea.
- Death Cab for Cutie. Because my 15-year-old self had damn decent taste in music.